At the age of 23, Dr. Vengurlekar began his post-graduate residency training in surgery; and, at the age of 27, he became a board-certified general surgeon (being chief surgery resident in his final year of training and passing his postgraduate boards with honors. For a period of two years, Dr. Vengurlekar was in private practice in general and reconstructive surgery. Additionally, Dr. Vengurlekar was a member of the faculty for a teaching institution as Assistant Professor of Surgery.
Seeking additional expertise, Dr. Vengurlekar completed his cardiovascular thoracic surgery fellowship from Sinai Hospital, Detroit. He then performed surgery for trauma at Albert Einstein Medical School, New York and at Bronx Lebanon and Lincoln Hospital in New York. At this point, Dr. Vengurlekar decided to devote his practice to treating pain and suffering. So, he completed his anesthesiology and pain fellowship from the University of Illinois, and Stritch School of Medicine, in 1990.
After completing the fellowship and 12 years of training, Dr. Vengurlekar relocated to beautiful Scottsdale, AZ in 1991, and founded his practice. Focusing on interventional procedures for relieving spine and joint pain, Dr. Vengurlekar continues to practice medicine with a passion for treating the pathology of underlying pain disorders with successful interventional procedures (rather than simply masking this pathology with medications and physical therapy).
Over the last several years, Dr. Vengurlekar has successfully treated thousands of patients in relieving their painful conditions and restoring them to healthy lives free of narcotics. Dr. Vengurlekar sees and helps a variety of pain conditions, with 80% of his practice being neck pain, low back pain, joint pain and headaches. He also successfully treats sports injury pain, pain from work-related injuries, accident injuries, abdominal pain, post-surgical pain, arthritis, sciatica and other painful conditions.
Dr. Vengurlekar has been named as a Top Doc by Phoenix Magazine for numerous years, and has been cited in other publications. He is passionate about helping patients in pain and is an advocate against the large-scale and long-term use of opiates (except for cancer pain and short-term relief of acute pain conditions). Dr. Vengurlekar is accepting new patients; and, he and his staff are ready to take your call.
- - Elaine
- - William La Rue
- - Alan Karlowicz
- - Jane Brown
- - Jimmy Montoya
- Board Certification in Specialty of Interventional Pain Management, American Board of Anesthesiology, 1996 and recertified in 2006 and in 2016.
- Board Certification in General Surgery, Bangalore, India (Degree of Master of Surgery) 1984.
- Board Certification in Anesthesiology, American Board of Anesthesiology, 1993.
- Passed Part I of American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians Exam September 2006.
- 11/89-10/90 Fellowship in Cardiovascular Anesthesia and Critical Care Loyola University of Chicago Medical Center, Foster G. McGaw Hospital, Maywood, Illinois.
- 11/87-10/89 Residency in Anesthesiology, Loyola University of Chicago Medical Center, Foster G. McGaw Hospital, Maywood, Illinois.
- Received training during PGY-3 and PGY-4 years in Acute & Chronic Pain Management.
- 7/86-6/87 Residency in Surgery, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx Lebanon Hospital Medical Center, Bronx, New York.
- 4/84-12/84 Lecturer in Surgery, Jawaharlal Institute of Post-Graduate Medical Education & Research, (JIPMER) Madras University, Pondicherry, India.
- 4/84-12/84 Lecturer in Surgery, Jawaharal Institute of Post-Graduate Medical Education & Research, (JIPMER) Madras University, Pondicherry, India.
- 12/83-4/84 Senior Registrar of Surgery and Plastic Surgery, Jaslok Hospital, Bombay, India.
- 6/80-12/83 Residency in Surgery, Bangalore Medical College & Hospital, Bangalore, India, Board Certification in Surgery February 1984.
- 1978-1979 Compulsory Rotating Internship, St. John’s National Academy of Health Sciences, Bangalore University, Bangalore, India.
- 1972-1978 St. John’s National Academy of Health Sciences, Bangalore University, Bangalore, India.
- MBBS Degree 1979 (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery).
- Thesis on “Solitary Nodule of Thyroid,” a study of surgical findings of 75 cases of solitary nodule of thyroid. Submitted for qualifying Post-Graduate Board Examination in Surgery.
- Study of End Systolic Pressure Volume relationship under influence of anesthetic vapors/fentanyl/ketamine using canine model. Study involved sophisticated invasive instrumentation. Abstract submitted – Seoul, Korea 1990.
- Study of End Systolic Pressure Volume relationship under influence of IV calcium. Abstract submitted – Seoul, Korea 1990.
- Efficacy of Hypertonic Saline Infusion in resuscitation following hemorrhage. Study in process. Abstract presented at the ASA annual meeting, Las Vegas, Nevada 1990.
- Use of Amrinone and its efficacy on cardiac function prior to induction in hearts with poor EF<25%. Study planned.
- Dr. Vengurlekar is exclusively engaged in his practice in interventional pain procedures for a variety of pain disorders. He has been in practice in the Phoenix area since 1991, up to date.
Expertise in performance and interpretation of Intraoperative Esophageal Doppler and Echo (TEE).
Knowledge and interpretation of intraoperative Evoked Potentials (EP) for spine/ surgery/intracranial surgery.
Expertise in management of difficult airway using Fiberoptic Bronchoscope.
Critical Care Management in ICU.
Expertise in the Evaluation and Diagnosis of the Chronic Pain Patient and many Intractable Pain Syndromes.
Expertise in the following Interventional Pain Procedures under Fluoroscopy:
- Regenerative Cell Therapy using Exosomes for Sports & Accident Injuries. Arthritis, Facial Rejuvenation, Male and female sexual disorders, and Urinary Incontinence.
- Transforaminal Selective Root Sleeve Injections, Cervical, Thoracic, Lumbar, Sacral.
- MILD for Lumbar Stenosis (Minimally Invasive Lumbar Decompression).
- Intracept procedures for low back pain.
- Coblation Vertebroplasty for spinal metastases.
- Percutaneous Vertebral Augmentations.
- Lumbar Disc Nucleoplasty.
- IntraDiscal ElectroThermal Anuloplasty.
- Implantable Pumps for Intraspinal Delivery of Baclofen for Spasicity and Narcotic for Intractable Pain.
- Dorsal Column Stimulators.
- Radiofrequency NeuroAblative Procedures on a Variety of Neural Tracts in Cranium, Spine, etc.
- Sympathetic Blocks and Radiofrequency Ablations: Stellate, Celiac Plexus, Lumbar Sympathetic, Hypogastric Plexus, Ganglion Impar of Walther.
- Cervical and Lumbar Discography.
- Radiofrequency Ablation for knee joint pain from Arthritis.
- Radiofrequency Ablation for Lumbar Pain.
- Awarded gold medals in surgery in statewide competitive examinations.
- Ranked among the top three in the class in each year of medical school and residency.
- Dean’s List throughout medical school.
- Best Outgoing Surgical Resident.
- American Medical Association.
- American Society of Anesthesiology.
- Arizona Society of Anesthesiologists.
- Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists.
- Illinois Society of Anesthesiology.
- International Anesthesia Research Society.
- Dupage County Medical Society, Illinois.
- Texas Pain Society.
- American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians.
- American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine.
- American Headache Society.
- International Spinal Injection Society.
- Medical Director, Scottsdale Medical Innovations, LLC.
- Served on Interventional Pain Committee at Honor HealthCare – Scottsdale and Phoenix, Arizona.
- Founder Member, North Valley Surgery Center, Scottsdale, 2004-2009.
On staff at Banner Healthcare and Honor Healthcare.
- North Carolina
- South Carolina